John Kim is the partner in charge of the firm’s Business Transactions and Real Estate groups. He is one of the founding partners of the firm. Prior to forming the firm, John was an attorney practicing at several highly regarded regional law firms in Southern California and at the Los Angeles office of Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker, LLP.
John has provided counsel to both public and privately held companies in matters relating to corporate and securities laws, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and general business law matters. He has the expertise to advise his clients in matters relating to formation and dissolution of various entities, purchase or sale of on-going businesses, drafting and negotiating general business agreements, corporate governance, joint ventures, franchise law, employment and consulting agreements, licensing agreements, and other business law matters. He has represented clients in diverse fields such as retailers, product manufacturers, clothing manufacturers, software, hardware and video game developers, real estate developers, hospitals, an ornamental iron works manufacturer, and a shopping mall.
John has a wide range of experience representing clients in various real estate matters including but not limited to purchase and sale transactions, real estate financing, landlord/tenant issues, commercial leases, real estate development, land use and entitlements, syndication or joint venture structuring. John is also a licensed California real estate broker.
John was selected by his peers as a Super Lawyer (only 5% of California attorneys are selected to Super Lawyers) from 2015 through 2022 and as a Rising Star (under 40 year) from 2009 through 2013 (published by Super Lawyers Magazine). Mr. Kim was also voted as one of Orange County's Top Attorneys by OC Metro, Coast Magazine and Los Angeles Magazine for many years.
John's experience includes representation of:
- A company acquisition of various video game companies totaling over $300 million.
- A real estate investment company's purchase of a commercial property for $42.25 million.
- An innovating high-tech software company in its private offering of its common stock.
- A textile and dying company in its private offering of its common stock.
- A company owning various hospitals in its private securities offerings in the United States.
- A major South Korean manufacturer of computer hardware in its Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Several shopping mall operators in its general day-to-day business operations.
- A manufacturing company of remote control devices in its conversion from a corporation into a limited liability company.
- Various sellers and buyers in wide range of business asset sale transactions.
- Various clients in negotiating and drafting licensing agreements with major companies (licensors or licensees).
- University of California at Berkeley (B.A., 1997)
- University of Pennsylvania School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business (Certificate of Public Policy and Management, 2001)